Author and Writer
Erika is the author of bestselling and multiple award-winning memoir and wellness guide SOUND MIND: My Bipolar Journey from Chaos to Composure (Trigger Publishing, 2019). A recipient of the 2019 Nautilus Book Award- Gold, and 2019 Canada Book Award, SOUND MIND has also reached #1 on Amazon in its category. Erika is on the roster of authors at K2 Literary Agency and is a creative contributor to Psychology Today Magazine and BPhope.com, and is also the author of wellness and mental health blog soundmindbook.com. She has also written for the American Federation of Musicians newsletter, News Harp.
Erika is also the creator of Sound Mind Presentations, blending cello performance and sharing her story and message of positive mental health to a variety of audiences, from patients at CAMH, to middle and high schools. She also acted as bipolar consultant to actress Carolina Bartzak for her leading role of Maura in 2018 Canadian film, An Audience of Chairs, directed by Deanne Foley.
“Erika Nielsen has done what few others have achieved in the ever-widening bipolar disorder literature: combine a first-person account with an instructional guide for self-care. She tells the story of how she discovered her bipolar disorder and learned to live with it, continued to make use of her musical talents, and learned to achieve her goals within the limits the disorder imposes. Readers will appreciate her insightful recommendations for managing the disorder on a day-to-day basis. This book will be especially helpful to those who learn by example.”
Media appearances for SOUND MIND:
- The Lisa Show on BYU Radio
- Global Morning TV ''Bookmarked''
- FORTUNE'S Most Powerful Women Summit, Ritz Carlton
- Article: Whole Note Magazine
- The Breakdown SXM with Allison Dore
- CHCH Morning Live with Annette Hamm, Hamilton, ON
- ListenN Podcast with Brian Gehan
- The Psych Central Show Podcast with Gabe Howard and Vincent M. Wales
- The Shaun Proulx Show for SiriusXM Radio
- The New Classical FM 96.3 with Mark Wigmore
- What She Said! Radio Canada with Christine Bentley and Kate Wheeler
Sound Mind Presentation venues have included:
- Greenwood College School, grades 7-9, Toronto, ON
- CAMH ''Lunch and Learn'' event, mood and anxiety unit, Toronto, ON
- Toronto Public Library Eh-List Series author guest, North York, ON
- The University of Toronto symposium, hosted by Editor's Canada and Author's Toronto
- High Notes Avante Mental Health Gala, alongside Luba Goy, and songwriter Dan Hill, Richmond Hill Centre for the Performing Arts
- The Bookshelf and eBar, Guelph, ON
- The Toronto Bipolar Disorder Meetup Group, private event
- Logan & Finley, Toronto, ''Brunch and Learn''
“When cellist Erika Nielsen is not playing, she’s opening up about how she deals with mental illness. This morning she joined us with more on her memoir & wellness guide, Sound Mind.”